"Front List/Back List" Database Publishing Aid
- Custom Shrink Wrap Database manages large numbers of books and all the data associated with them. This data is easy to find, easy to edit, and easy to "export" to any number of other applications or projects.
- FLBL includes a WEB PUBLISHING module that allows the user to specify which book titles will get published to the web, and then choose a template from a list and simply publish the entire selection to any web site immediately. This WEB Export module includes a complete html code generation system that allows the web designer to embed html code tagged to each field within the database itself. The web site design itself effectively becomes data records that get wrapped around each field as the actual data is sent to the web. The web design is literally regular database data - accessible at the field data level, not as underlying procedural code as is usually the case in a database publishing system. This makes web publishing very user friendly for the general user. It keeps the html generation phase out of the "programming" loop and totally open and accessible to the designer, which allows for very fast on-the-fly site changes, updates, and tweaks. It also means that your single database can have an unlimited number of "designs" embedded within it. The user simply picks the desired WEB html export design from a list, chooses the book titles to be published with that design, and presses a button. Any number of users can, therefore, publish full web sites in several places with totally different designs for each site; or small html documents can be created for special purposes - all on the fly and simultaneously!
- It contains an import module that is user definable allowing any company to use existing data and systems to keep individual book data up to date, for instance with corporate pricing data from the distributor.
- The database is custom built to hold the normal data used in the book publishing industry to generate catalogs of listings, ads for listings, line cards of listings, and to support other information outlets such as internet sites. It is constructed in a "modular" manner, allowing easy and rapid changes or scale-up to handle nearly any task desired.
- The database is especially good at exporting automatically tagged text for Quark templates, and unlimited user defined delimited text of any/all fields in any order within any sorted output need. It is used by some installations to export html data to web sites. These export routines empower the user to define the exact tags needed for each export, so that the company is not at the mercy of programming services when simple design changes are needed. In the case of Quark, the output is meant to be picked up by "XData", a quark plug-in and totally user controlled; therefore, in-house Quark designers are definitely not at the mercy of outside programming to pick up any and all fields exported from the database. Likewise, all other ASCII export/import operations are totally user defined. A final auto output routine dumps the entire "management summary" report to a disk text file where it can be picked up for inclusion into any program on any platform. This outputs every field and in a format easy to read and understand by the casual user, especially useful for quickie or low tech publishing or printing needs on the fly. We now support full ONIX 2.0 output as well.